Sunday, April 10, 2011

An Overdue Thank You

After much complaining and a few harassing emails from Mom, I have sat down this morning to fill you all in on what has been going on. But first, I must rectify an issue that has been raised: my not thanking my mother publicly for all of her help during my mini life crises a couple of months ago. Despite the fact that her solving my problems while abroad or traveling is nothing new, it was a minor miracle that she was able to replace all of my things as quickly as she did and ship them to my Country Director, who was home on vacation and was kind enough to bring as many things back as she could. The Director joked when I met her in Kigali that she’s having my mom pack for her next time because of the number of things that she was able to squeeze into every crevice of every package. This is nothing new for Mom. In high school I went off to Colorado with two left sneakers (they looked the same when I was packing!) and when I realized this it was the day before we were going white-water rafting, so sure enough Mom had to overnight me a right sneaker. Then there was the time in England when I threw my wallet away at a soccer field and she had to send me money. Then of course, let’s not forget the time when I went backpacking in Europe and went to make copies of my credit cards before we left and realized at the airport that I had left them on the copier at home. You guessed it, another overnight package was sent to my hostel in Paris. So as you all can see, I am not an easy daughter to send off on trips around the world, but luckily my mother just sighs when I say I’m off to a new destination and prepares for the worst. Well, the closest thing to the worst happened here in Rwanda and rather than dwelling on the crises at hand, the credit card was taken out and everything was replaced. So in summary, thanks Mom for all your help, but remember, it’s only been about 6 months…I have 21 more to go, so get excited J

1 comment: